The time is always……….now. Of course, now, never waits!!!
Do you procrastinate having fun? Do you hold yourself back? Are you afraid to make a mistake? Is fear a factor in your decision making?
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, it may be time for you to reevaluate your priorities in life.
What is holding you back?
There is a notion of readiness. You may need to prepare, learn, read, explore many avenues before you find the right path. This is part of the journey. The best way to accumulate regrets is to postpone seeking joy, purpose and meaning. The model that best fits facing your fears and taking on challenges comes from The Hero’s Journey, by Joseph Campbell. In the Power of Myth PBS series, Joseph Campbell gives you a perspective to help you find your way. There are distinct states to get your own life adventure started. The Hero’s Journey consists of the following passages. To help you unfold your myths, explore these ideas. Tis diagram shows the 12 steps and brief description of each one.
- Call to Adventure–This could be a telephone call to try something new or someone asking you to participate in their adventure. Do you answer the call or hang up? You welcome the quest.
- Meeting a Mentor–most likely you will need some help. This is the a way to give you courage, strength, support. A coach, minister, friend, spouse, teacher or motivator.
- Challenges and Tests–There path will be fraught with obstacles, and people who will try to discourage you. You will also find allies. Go with them.
- The Ordeal–Here you will face your fears and most likely have to deal with a crisis.
- The Reward–Time to embrace the rewards of your endeavors, conquering fears, confronting yourself.
- The Return–Now, you return with your new found “elixir” of life and changed forever for having taken on the adventure. Do you answer the call? Time will tell.