First and foremost, create or access a supportive environment of family, friends, and religious and spiritual affiliations. Talk to those who know you and love you. You can better withstand stress than if you are alone.
- Be grateful for all that you have. Express gratitude on a regular basis.
- Meditate. It’s a great natural relaxing method that puts the brakes on speeding stress hormones. There are many different forms of meditation, and, of course, prayer. Yoga and Tai-Chi are effective as well. Find something that works for you and do it regularly.
- Stress erodes health in many ways, major and minor.
- Exercise. A brisk walk or workout takes your mind off problems.
- Play with a pet or a grandchild.
- Be available to others. We are all in this boat together.
- Finally, put things into perspective: “Don’t sweat the small stuff because it is all small stuff.”