In these very troubled times with COVID-19, mixed messages, fear, stress, anxiety, isolation and complete disruption of your entire life, having a sense of safety and feeling in control is essential. I have created some thoughts for you as a manager, leader, business owner and employee. Hopefully you may find some of the ideas useful for you to calm yourself and ready your return to the workplace.
On the emotional front, tune into your inner thoughts. Notice how your inner dialogue makes your anxious, stressed or fearful. Then, work to reframe those negative thoughts in to positive and optimistic ones. If you focus on the future, it is not here and you have no control making your anxiety worse. If you focus on the past, the past can’t be changed and it is more likely to become depressed. What we have is the PRESENT. Embrace it, tune in to gratitude, connect with others that you like and love. It may be useful take a look a how you are managing your emotions in constructive or perhaps destructive ways. Why? So, as you return to work, look at how to be your best self, healthy, positive and productive.
- begin with examining your own fears and energy, set boundaries with other with social distancing,
- accept the changes in the workplace environment,
- remain up-to-date on communications from your company of guidelines for being responsible,
- be supportive of the new guidelines,
- attend all town hall meetings to keep informed,
- address your fears or concerns with managers,
- be supportive of others,
- structure your day to feel in control,
- understand that there will be awkwardness,
- monitor your energy,
- trust your instincts,
- self-soothe and calm yourself with breath, relaxation and positivity,
- be mindful
- and stay safe with safety protocols.
THE CDC has guidelines for you to review and use to help you and co-workers adjust.