The performance pyramid has 3 distinct phases: 1) long-term development, 2) immediate preparation & 3) During performance itself. Phase one include long-term goals, learning, and sustaining daily practice. Phase 2, the skills are used immediately before performance to prepare prior to competition, and Phase 3 are skills utilized in the actual performance behavior. There are 3 empowering thoughts needed to create a champion attitude and performance.
1) Champions think like champions.
2) Champions are made in practice.
3) The body follows the mind.
Skills to perform well in sport as well as non-sport activities have certain basic tenants: Successful athletes have the following mental traits:
- Choose and maintain a positive attitude
- Set and keep a high level of self-motivation
- Set high and realistic goals
- Use positive self-talk
- Use positive imagery
- Manage anxiety effectively
- Manage their emotions
- Maintain concentration
- Always strive to improve
- Pain management
- Ability to focus
- ENJOY COMPETING
- Mentally rehearse winning